ELYRIA — An Internet sweepstakes cafe has refused to pay out a jackpot, according a lawsuit by a player demanding $1 million in punitive damages.

Kenneth Carder Jr., of Lorain, claimed he won a jackpot worth $6,250 when he was playing at the Stay Connected I.M.C. LLC sweepstakes cafe on SR 60 in Vermilion, according to the lawsuit filed yesterday at Lorain County Common Pleas Court.

An attendant paid him $1,562.50 that day and told Carder to return a few days later for the rest. However, Stay Connected has refused to pay, according to the lawsuit.

“Their employees came over and said, you’re the biggest winner we’ve ever had,” said Carder’s attorney, Michael J. Duff, of Lorain. “They promised to pay it, they just didn’t have the money there at the time.”

Carder returned several times to try to collect, but the Stay Connected cafe would not pay, Duff said. Cafe staff took back a written record to pay Carder, but there are witnesses who will confirm the win, Duff said.

“They claim it’s a computer glitch,” Duff said. “I told them that’s their problem, not my client’s.”

Carder is seeking compensatory damages worth at least $25,000 and punitive damages of $1 million, according to the lawsuit.

Duff said he has heard of people winning thousands of dollars — and getting paid.

“I’ve never heard of any of these Internet cafes not honoring their obligations,” he said.

He claimed Stay Connected broke its contract to provide the services and has violated the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act. Carder also claimed “not only tangible economic loss, but also emotional and psychological injury” due to the negligence and fraud of the sweepstakes cafe.

Stay Connected’s statutory agent, listed as Steven L. LoDico, of Sandusky, was not available for comment.

http://www.morningjournal.com/articl...mode=fullstory